Kindergarten Readiness Multi-Sensory Program
The occupational therapist-led program targets age-appropriate fine motor development using a sensory-motor approach. These 1:1 sessions will be 45-minutes long and are provided in a safe and fun environment. A block of 5 sessions is recommended to maximize the benefit.
Children 3.5 – 5 years who will be entering JK or SK in the fall of 2020.
Sessions can be schedule daily for 1 week, weekly or bi-weekly.
Session 1: Screening of gross motor and fine motor skills including: balance, core strength, pencil grasp, drawing, and cutting skills.
Sessions 2-5: Tailored to meet the needs identified during the assessment. The following skills will be targeted based on needs:
- Pre-printing and drawing/ La pré-écriture et le dessin
- Pencil Grasp/ La prise de crayon
- Upper body strengthening/ la force des membres supérieurs
- Letter formation and writing implementing methods from Handwriting Without Tears/ La calligraphie enseignée suivant les méthodes de “Handwriting Without Tears”.
- Cutting skills/ Les habiletés de découpage
**Parents will be provided with a home program to allow the child to further develop their skills and practice between sessions.**
Interprofessional Clinic at Perley Rideau – 1750 Russell Rd. Ottawa, ON
Given the current COVID-19 precautions, we are limiting as many high-contact surfaces as possible. If you are unable to provide the equipment listed please inform us and other arrangements can be made.
- Sharpened pencil
- 3-5 markers of different colours
- Child-sized scissors with good cutting blades (ex. Fiskars, LIVINGO, Scotch, etc. – Available at most Staples, Michael’s, Grand & Toy, Scholar’s Choice stores).